Friday, December 08, 2006

Thought of the day

I’m going to tell you all a little story. It may not have the literary flair of many posts I’ve come across on these blogs. Although it will be a true account of actions and events occurring within a 24hr period.

This Friday I’ll be leaving to Cuba for a week. One of these all inclusive type deals.
I’m looking forward to it, as I have never done this before. It will also the first time
I am traveling will friends. No family members and no significant other.
Not to mention, last 6 months have been pretty stressful.

A quick prelude to this 24hrs period is the matter of taking the time off at work.
It was a real pain. I had to find 2 people to cover my responsibilities. In one
case 3 levels of supervisor had to allow my counter part to help cover me even after he agreed. And finally it took 4 phone calls in one afternoon for my manager to give me the ok and at the same time there were only 3 rooms left at the resort, which could have been snagged at any time. This paragraph is just here is give you an impression of the difficulty I had to be able to go to begin with.

So, Monday night I’m going for coffee with a friend on the way there an accident happens 2 cars ahead of me. The car in front of me hits the breaks and I do the same. I catch a piece of black ice and slid 10 feet before stopping. When I get to coffee I recount the event to my friend with the after thought that, and this is a quote, “I’ve got the feeling something is going to happen to screw up my trip.”

The very next day, less then 13 hours after my comment I get into a car accident not 1km from the coffee shop. My rear bumper is toast, $700 damage. The one good thing is it wasn’t my fault and no one got hurt. This was on Tuesday afternoon around 2pm.

That evening, I played ultimate Frisbee. Didn’t really feel like playing which is unusual for me. Speaking to a friend as I’m driving there, her advice was just don’t play today.
While there our team had a few fill in players. During the game one of our regular players wasn’t looking too pleased. He is usually of good temperament so when asked what was up, he stated the fill in player he was partnered with wasn’t subbing off and there fore he wasn’t getting a lot of playing time.

Word for word I asked him to talk my spot. I said, “Listen don’t worry about it.
I’m going to Cuba in 3 days and the last thing I want to do is get hurt before my trip.”
Now I’ve been playing for years and never got seriously hurt before. This statement was in jest but it was said. He said, “No no you take your turn” and I went on the field.
It wasn’t 5 minutes before I was on the ground rolling over in pain with serious twisted ankle. It blow up to at least twice its normal size and the next day I had to get a x-rays to verify that it wasn’t broken.

In summary, ( WTF ). Mind over matter, bad luck, karma, self fulfilling prophecy, needless to say it wasn’t a great day, but the two predictions are uncanny. I don’t believe in anything mythical controlling events around me, except maybe biblically. I’m pretty much a stuff happens kinda guy. But the facts in this story forces me to wonder.
So does anyone else have stories that may question logic?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have plenty of stories that question logic. Enough to drive you to check in 999(1000) Queen St.
So, with that said, why question logic? Why drive yourself crazy about things that are just out of your control?
Just let it be....
and breath.....

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to say..
Enjoy Cuba!

12:41 PM  
Blogger kristin said...

:( oh buddy... i didn't know about the first car thing! that's crazy. you need to crawl under a rock!!!

nah, just kidding. anon says just let it be? and breathe? enjoy cuba? I like it. don't sweat it. there's no need to worry. the only thing is, you should always always always listen to this friend who advised you to just not go to ultimate. she sounds like a very wise and beautiful and amazing and brilliant and charming (and humble) woman.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't no woman it was me jerk

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sj said...

tee hee

enjoy C, D

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so this is where it ends?

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker